Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY)
1. What is Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY)?
The Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) is an on-going National Program of Fellowship in Basic Sciences, initiated and funded by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, to attract exceptionally highly motivated students for pursuing basic science courses and research career in science. It is managed by the Indian Institute of Science, Banglore.
2. Why Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY)?
The objective of the program is to identify students with talent and aptitude for research; help them realize their academic potential; encourage them to take up research careers in Science, and ensure the growth of the best scientific minds for research and development in the country.
3. Eligibility Criteria for KVPY
Only Indian candidates can apply for the KVPY Fellowship programme.
For Stream SA:
- Those candidates studied in XI Standard (Science Subjects) in the academic year of 2018-2019 can apply for this test.
- Candidates must have secured a minimum of 80% marks (70% marks in case of the SC/ST/PWD) in aggregate in Science & Mathematics subjects in Class X.
- Candidates must have secured a minimum of 60% marks (50% marks for SC/ST/PWD) in aggregate in Science Subjects in XII Standard Board Examination.
- Selected students fellowship will be activated only when they join an UG programme in Basic Science (B.Sc/BS/B.Stat./B.Math./Int.M.Sc/MS) in the academic year 2020-2021.
For Stream SX:
- Candidates studied in XII Standard (Science Subjects) in the academic year of 2018-2019 can appear.
- Candidates have to obtain minimum 80% marks for Gen category & 70% marks for SC/ST/PWD category in aggregate in Science & Mathematics subjects in High School Examination.
- Candidates have to score at least 60% marks (50% marks for SC/ST/PWD) in aggregate in Science Subjects in XII Standard.
- Students can join the undergraduate programme in Basic Science (B.Sc/BS/B.Stat./B.Math./Int.M.Sc/MS) in the academic year 2019-2020.
For Stream SB:
- Those candidates studied in 1st year of UG course in Basic Science such as Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics and Biology leading to B.Sc/BS/B.Stat./B.Math./Int.M.Sc/MS in the academic year of 2018-2019 can appear for this exam.
- Candidates have to secure at least 60% marks in case of GEN category & 50% marks in case of SC/ST/PWD category in aggregate in Science subjects in Intermediate Board Examination.
- Candidates have to obtain 60% marks (50% Marks for SC/ST/PWD category) in the 1st year final examination of B.Sc/BS/B.Stat./B.Math./Int.M.Sc/MS before taking up the fellowship, if awarded.
4. When does the KVPY advertisement come in the newspapers?
The advertisement for the KVPY Fellowship appears in all the national dailies on the Technology day (May 11), and on the second Sunday of July every year.
5. When and where is it conducted?
- KVPY 2018 Exam Date: November 2018
- KVPY 2018 Written Exam Result: December 2018
- KVPY 2018 Interview Dates: January-February 2019
- STREAM SA : Forenoon 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM (Candidates should report at 8:30 AM)
- STREAM SB/SX : Afternoon 2 PM to 5 PM (Candidates should report at 1 PM)
6. KVPY 2018-19 Application Form and Exam Fee
KVPY 2018 application forms will be available from July 2018.
KVPY 2018 examination will be conducted in online mode only.
- Application Fee for KVPY 2018-19
- For General Category/OBC: Rs. 1000
- For SC/ST/PWD: Rs. 500
7. KVPY Syllabus
Since KVPY written examination is an aptitude test, there is no agreed syllabus for the exam. The objective of written exam is to test the understanding and analytical ability of the student. Students are tested for the syllabus up to class X / XII / 1st year of B.Sc. / B.S. / B.Stat. / B.Math. / Int. M.Sc. / M.S. as applicable.
8. KVPY Selection Procedure
Selection of the students in KVPY is made from those studying in XI standard to 1st year of any undergraduate Program in Basic Sciences namely B.Sc. /B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology having aptitude for scientific research. Based on the performance in the aptitude test, short-listed students are called for an interview which is the final stage of the selection procedure. IISc conducts an aptitude test for KVPY at various centres in the country to screen applications.
For receiving a KVPY scholarship or fellowship, both aptitude test and interview marks are considered. The merit list is based on 75% weightage for Aptitude Test marks and 25% weightage for the interview marks in the streams SA, SB and SX.
9. KVPY 2018 Aptitude Test Result
KVPY 2018 written examination result is likely to be declared in the month of December.
The marks of all the students selected/not selected in KVPY 2018 will be published on the KVPY website during March-April 2019, after the entire selection process including interviews is completed.
10. Scholarship Rewards under KVPY Scheme
The students who qualify KVPY Exam are eligible for the fellowship. The students receive fellowship from 1st year onwards of their graduation. The KVPY fellows receive Rs. 5000 monthly fellowship from 1st to 3rd year of B.Sc/ B.Stat/ B.S./ B.Maths/ Integrated M.S./M.Sc and an annual contingency grant of Rs.20,000. After three years the fellowship is enhanced to Rs.7,000 per month during M.Sc/ 4th & 5th year of Integrated M.S./M.Sc and an annual contingency grant of Rs. 28,000.
11. KVPY Previous Year Question Papers
12. KVPY 2018 Schedule
The notification for KVPY 2018 will be released in July 2018. The application form will also be available at the same time. The complete schedule for KVPY 2018 has been tabulated below:
13. What is the marking scheme and total marks for KVPY SA?
Part I: 4 subjects (PCMB). Each subject has 15 questions with marking scheme +1/-0.25. Total Question : 60, Total marks : 60.
Part II: 4 subjects (PCMB). Each subject has 5 questions with marking scheme +2/-0.5. Total Question : 20, Total marks : 40.
14. What is the marking scheme and total marks for KVPY SX/SB?
Part I: Choose any 3 of 4 subjects (PCMB). Each subject has 20 questions with marking scheme +1/-0.25. Total marks 60.
Part II: Choose any 2 of 4 subjects (PCMB). Each subject has 10 questions with marking scheme +2/-0.5. Total marks 40.
15. How to Fill KVPY 2018 Application Form
Candidates have to undergo an online KVPY Application Process post fulfilment of the Eligibility of KVPY. The application form will be available on July 16, 2018 onwards at http://kvpy.iisc.ernet.in
Use Coupon Code "SHOP20" to get 20% off on all products.